Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow day and random thoughts

The kids had a snow day today. It was a lazy day of playing and just being home with no agenda. I think we all need one of those every once in a while!

I have been very busy the last couple of weeks with different activities at the kids' schools, church, meetings, jewelry shows and just life. I have been feeling overwhelmed lately and feel like a new season in life is about to start. A season that will include my oldest going to middle school, a second grader, one starting kindergarten and the youngest starting pre-school. All of this is coming at me at once as registrations begin, information is being sent home to get us thinking about this activity or that. And I start wondering.....what will I be doing?

It is bittersweet to think that time is going this fast and my "babies" are ready to start these journeys. At the same time it is exciting to watch wings spreading, Independence growing and personalities coming into full bloom.

I feel like a new season is coming for Kevin and his job. Whether that means he remains at the same place or moves on, it feels like it is inevitable. And again...what will I be doing?

God has really been working on me these past months. Sifting, refining and calling me closer. Some days and moments, I have been obedient and rested in His peace, His care and His teaching. Other days and moments I have insisted that I knew best and I have wrestled and cried at the feeling of being out of control.

And there it is. The word...control. I am a firstborn, a leader, a get-things-doner. (can we pretend that's a word?) This season I am being called to be a waiter, a prayer and a truster. That is sooo hard, especially when all of the results will inevitably effect my family or me directly. But yet, His plan is always so much better than mine.

So I will wait. I will try to savor the changing of the season and bask in what He is trying to show me. I will continue to sit on my hands and bend at my knees and seek His control instead of mine. I will give Him glory and praise because He is worthy of that and so much more. And I will enjoy those random days with nothing scheduled that He gives so I can remember and reflect that even a snow day, is His day!

2 comments:

  1. The last three words of your post reminds me of that song, "This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." I remember singing that song in church while the congregation smiled and clapped to the beat. It was an easy song to sing on a bright and sunny Sunday morning. Now, years later, this song has taken so much more meaning for me. Every day, even the dark, cloudy days are days for rejoicing. The days without an income, the days when the kids are sick, the days when you feel alone, the days when someone breaks your heart are all days that we can say that I WILL rejoice and be glad in it. Not because it's a happy day, but because of our hope in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

    God has great plans for you and your family. I just know that he does!

    Love you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete